Monday 31 May 2021

Dixon House Vist


 Dixon House







On Tuesday the 25th of May we went to Dixon House to read and chat with the Elderly. Dixon House is a Rest Home. We got on the bus at 1.00 and drove down to the rest home. The book I brought was called Grandpa’s shed. The Polytech paid for the bus and brought baking for everyone when we finished reading. The first person my friend and I read to was named Alan. I don’t think he can communicate very well. Then the second person we read to was called Janet. She was a very good communicator. She used funny expressions when she was reading. We read two books to her: my book ( Grandpa’s Shed) and my friend's book ( Grumpy Grandpa).



When I walked into the Dixon house it was uncomfortable seeing all these elderly people all lined up and sitting in chairs. I haven’t been to Dixon house in ages so I couldn’t really remember what it was like. I was a bit anxious at the start but when I started talking to people I didn't feel uncomfortable. 



The thing that I enjoyed the most was seeing all the elderly people smiling and being happy when all the kids were reading and talking to them. The one thing that I learned from this experience was that old people can still communicate with the younger generation.













4 comments:

  1. Max you would have been so kind and patient with the elderly because we know how thoughtful you are. Pop said you had better get use to the elderly because you will have to read him his race book to him when he is old!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max! My name is Lyla am from Otaki college! I really like you post! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you done a great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you got to do this Max & brighten up someone’s day. I’m glad you got something out of it too :) Mum

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.